Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Paris or Parys?

February 16, 2014

Parys is the Afrikaans word for Paris; and well, I can tell you, it is really nothing like the real Paris (I'm told there is even an Eiffel Tower somewhere in the town, but I still don't think that would change my mind).  That being said, Parys does have a few redeeming features. 

At less than an hour from Johannesburg, it makes a lovely escape from the city. The quaint little town is a popular spot for Joburgers (yes, that really is what they are called) to visit on a Sunday afternoon for lunch on the river and to browse a few of the antique shops. 

But, the main claim to fame of Parys is the world's largest meteorite impact site. That's right, Vredefort measures about 200km in diameter, and is the oldest (2,000,000,000 years old) and largest in the world. Hence, it is now considered a Unesco World Heritage Site. 

I must admit that it sounds cooler than it actually was. But, standing on the rim of the "crater" did lend itself to great views of the valley and surrounding area. Not to mention the fact that we got to go on a very quirky and random "4x4 safari" up the steep ridge to the viewing point. I'm always up for a random adventure (shocking, I know). 

And so, on this Valentine's Day weekend, I dedicate this post to my husband, M, for enduring these experiences in the name of amusing his wife. Love you to the end of the world's largest meteorite impact site and back. 

4x4ing to see the view of the world's largest meteorite impact site.

 Learning all about the "meteorite".

"You see, way over there?"

View of the meteorite impact site.

 Cool bridge in the town of Parys. Not quite the Arc de Triomphe.

 Golden sunflower fields on the way back to Joburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment