Pages

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Giraffes of Jozi

March 16, 2014

Meet the giraffes of Jozi. While you can find them all over South Africa, the real ones are here in Jozi (I actually have no idea if that's really true, but it's what I've been lead to believe, and from what I've seen in the rest of the country, the best ones are in fact here in Jozi). And they are cute. So cute. 

There is a whole herd of them on a corner that I drive by frequently (Jan Smuts Avenue and Bolton Road, for anyone who's curious). And while I have no idea what I will do with a six-foot-tall beaded giraffe, I knew I had to have one as a souvenir of our time here in South Africa. And so, on a lovely Sunday afternoon, M and I went to pick out my new friend (and a friend for a friend, too, because really, who wouldn't want an adorable beaded giraffe?). 

How can you resist that face?

Why, hello there. 

I might be smaller than my brothers (you can see their legs behind my head), but I'm no less cute.

I'm purple and I know it.

I don't think they could decide what colour to make me (that, or I seemed like a good use for all of the leftover beads).

I'm keeping watch over the lil' ones. 

I'm watching you. Yes, you. 

I wanted to take all of them home with me. I settled for taking their photos instead. 

Yes, the giraffes are bigger than M and I.

The makers of the giraffes. The rainbow giraffe movement may be new, but these guys have been selling beaded animals on this corner for over ten years. Kennedy (in the peach shirt) is the maker of the giant giraffe I posed with in the previous photo (and subsequently purchased), and he told us that they came here from Zimbabwe to sell their craft and make a living in the city of gold. Thanks for making my new friend, Kennedy (whom I've now named "Kennedy"). 

No comments:

Post a Comment