Pages

Tuesday 18 March 2014

I Was Shot in Joburg

January 26, 2014

Okay, I'll admit it. Probably a bit of a misleading title, but it's the name of a very cool organization that I wanted to share. The website of "I was shot in Joburg" states the purpose of the organization as "...providing a platform for former street children to learn skills and generate income". The concept is simple: teach street kids to use a camera, have them take some interesting images, and then turn them into cool art. Now these kids have not only a marketable skill and a way to earn income, but they also have some new found confidence from creating something they can be proud of. The photos are of some really unique places, scenes and artwork in the inner city neighbourhoods of Johannesburg, and show a side of the city that is not always easily seen or noticed.

M and I bought a couple of the canvas images of funky graffiti scenes in the city. I am told these do not exist in the streets of Joburg anymore as they were either painted over or vandalized. Shame. I like that we have them on our wall though; they are too cool to be forgotten. And, I love that this supports such an inspiring cause.



No comments:

Post a Comment