Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

The Magic of Victoria Falls

April 4, 2014
 
Victoria Falls in all her glory.

While M and I did make a trip to Victoria Falls in November, we visited during the dry season when the water levels were very low. Knowing that we weren't seeing the falls in their full glory, we hoped we'd somehow make it back during the rainy season. 

When my Mom and Dad were planning their visit here, I knew just the place for us to go together. At less than a two-hour flight from Joburg, it's a very feasible weekend getaway. But the close proximity to Joburg and the opportunity to see the full effect of the falls were not the only reasons I wanted to come here with them. 

Nine years ago when I first travelled to Africa I really wanted to try and make it to Victoria Falls, but it just wasn't in the cards for our mostly east-African itinerary. Since then, my Dad and I flippantly said "someday" we'd see it together. I don't know if either of us ever believed this would actually happen. 

Fast forward to April 2014. M and I landed in Zimbabwe with Mom and Dad for a jam-packed two days of bucket-list-checking, once-in-a-lifetime experiencing, family bonding time. 

Having now seen the falls at both extremes, I can confidently say that no matter the time of year, there is something very special about this place. Unlike Niagara Falls, Victoria Falls makes you work for your glimpse of the beauty, but I've come to realize that is all part of her magic. 


Enjoying warm weather, rock pools and sundowners at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge.

Elephant and buffalo at the watering hole in front of the hotel. Not bad, Zimbabwe, not bad.

Mom learning to dance. Or something.
 
Drum lessons at the Boma.


Helicopter flight over the falls? Yes, please.

 At this time of year the best way to actually see the falls is from above. With the very high water levels and insane amounts of spray, this is the only way to see the full scope of the 1.7km ledge of falling water.

I love the "smoke" of spray.

So.Much.Mist.


Excited chatter after our 12 minutes in the sky. Totally worth every minute.


Big Baobab. 


Ah, the Africa I know and love- locals taking advantage of every entrepreneurial opportunity. 


Walking in the mist across the gorge from the falls. 

Father and daughter at the falls. Bucket list = check.

Mom and Dad walking in the rainforest.

No, we weren't in a torrential downpour...this is the spray from the falls.
 
 Doing a little bartering.

No big deal, elephants might be crossing.

The hippo photo ops on the Zambezi river are insane...

Cruising the Zambezi at sunset never gets old. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG! the pictures are awesome.
    Was I REALLY there???
    Great work in capturing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete